Meet Stitch our Sensational Intern
Always Looking Forward
The direction of my life changed last year as I fulled embraced my role as a single mom. New challenges presented themselves daily as I worked to find solutions to transition and created a new sense of normalcy in our home.
Looking forward into the future, I realized I was going to need help re-affirming the values I want to instill in my daughter. This meant I needed to surround myself with good people and lead the way by example.
Girl Scouts to the Rescue
Early last year, we joined the local girl scout troup. Ideally the principles utilized by this organization would help lead the way, helping her gain skills and learn to work with other girls, rather than working against one another. My intentions were to help my daughter realize the world is much bigger than herself.(This goes along with teaching our daughters NOT to be mean girls.)
Girl scout camp was set for July and I was greatful I wasn’t the one out in the heat! When I dropped Em with her troup, I could see the place was teaming with girls of all ages.
‘Hmmm… looks like a lot of new friends! Eh Em?!’
‘Can I go now, mom?’ Em was jumping with excitement in the back seat. I nodded okay as she sprinted off to find her friends & link arms with the other girls.
When I returned that afternoon, everyone was buzzing with stories about the first day at camp. Emmaline spotted me and wildly waved to get my attention; ‘COME HERE!!!’
‘Quick! You HAVE to meet Stitch!’
I gave her a confused look as she grabbed my hand and began pulling me through the crowd. ‘Stitch whaaa??’
‘Come on mom!’ she pulled my hand harder. ‘I’ve found my new babysitter!’
I didn’t want to stand around in the heat searching for this troop leader. At the moment, more important things were running through my brian.‘Ok. ok. I gottcha! I’ll definitely have to meet her. We’ll be back every day this week and I’ll have plenty of time to meet this ‘stitch’ person.’
Fun facts about Stitch-
Me… uhmmm.. I’m just not that interesting.. but here goes nothing!
- Just like Adrienne, I became interested in the arts when I was a small child but I am also equal parts science nerd. (psst: my dad is a science teacher!)
- Guess you could say that I am musically inclined? I play a few instruments. So far my list includes, oboe, clarinet & guitar. My next purchase will be a ukulele… I’m saving up!
- When I was a baby, my mom said I gagged when she fed me meat. At six I made the connection between animals and they WERE the meat. I told my parents, ‘That’s not very nice!’ Ever since, I haven’t had any meat. I do dairy but no flesh.
- I was born in Kansas City but raised in Arizona (I still consider myself an Arizona Baby)– we moved back just after I declared myself a vegetarian. Great timing huh!?
- I love to make and create things! All things! I do art and (because of Adrienne) I’m starting to do photography. I do theater and play interments. I’m creating a costume for my latest theater performance. Some day I want to work my way up to cosplay (where you dress up and act like a character from a movie/book/tv show/game/play/etc.)
- As a part of my space nerd adventure at Space Camp I went Scuba diving for first time!! I was a little nervous before we got in the water, but once we started it was a BLAST!
- I’ve been in love with acting and theater since I was in early elementary school! My first acting role was the ‘tuna fish who couldn’t stay in tune’ in the show Go Fish! It was probably horrible painful to watch but I had so much fun!!
- And finally, why do they call me ‘Stitch’? Yes, I do indeed have a real name, but we’ll just stick with Stitch for now! I got my name at girl scouts! At girl scout camp all of the teens have camp names. I had a friend who said you should go by Stitch. At that point I had never seen Lilo and Stitch so I though my friend ment stitch as in sewing. When I told that to my friend she said “OH MY GOSH! HOW HAVE YOU NOT SEEN LILO AND STITCH!?!? YOU NEED TO GO HOME AND WATCH IT RIGHT NOW!!! ” So and did and I LOVED it! So from that day forth I was know as Stitch that Girl Scout leader and Professional babysitting!